Brown Rice and Black Bean Burritos
Get a little taste of the Southwest with this satisfying burrito.
- 2 cups chicken stock or water
- 1 cup brown rice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- 1 jalapeño pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 can fire-roasted tomatoes (15 ounces), diced
- 2 cans black beans (14 ounces each), drained and rinsed
- 4 large whole wheat tortillas
- 1 cup smoked white cheddar cheese
- 1/2 head iceberg lettuce, chopped
- 4 small tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 2 scallions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
- 1/2 bunch cilantro leaves (about a handful), removed from stems
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Juice of 1 lime
- A few dashes of hot sauce
- 1 jicama, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into matchsticks
Place a medium size pot over medium-high heat with the stock or water and brown rice. Season with salt and pepper and bring up to a bubble. Cover the pan, reduce the heat to low and simmer until the rice has absorbed all the liquid, about 25 minutes. Fluff the rice with a fork.
While the rice is cooking, place another pot over medium heat with 1 tablespoon EVOO, about one turn of the pan, and the onion, garlic, jalapeño, salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cook until tender, about 3-4 minutes. Stir in the cumin and cook about 1 minute, then add the tomatoes and beans and heat through, about 2 minutes. Keep warm until the rice is ready.
Just before the rice and beans are ready, place a dry skillet over medium heat. Warm the tortillas in the pan until hot and lightly blistered. Transfer the finished tortillas to a plate and cover them in a clean kitchen towel to keep them warm.
When everything is ready, lay down the tortillas and divide the cheese evenly between them. Divide the rice and beans between the tortillas as well as the lettuce, tomatoes, scallions and cilantro. Roll up each burrito.
For the salad, whisk together the honey, lime juice, hot sauce, salt and ground black pepper and the remaining 2 tablespoons EVOO. Toss with the jicama, red onion, and carrots. Serve on the side with a burrito.