Peppered bacon glazed with maple syrup and brown sugar tops this fabulous brunch burger.
- 12 slices peppered bacon
- 1/2 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup, divided
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 3/4 pound ground pork
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola or vegetable oil
- 4 thick slices sharp cheddar cheese or Cooper Sharp American cheese
- 4 medium eggs
- 3 tablespoons soft butter
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 4 sandwich-size English muffins, toasted
Arrange a rack in the center of the oven; pre-heat to 375°F.
Set a wire rack inside a rimmed baking sheet lined with foil. Place the bacon slices on a cutting board.
In a small bowl, mix together the brown sugar and 2 tablespoons maple syrup. Press the brown sugar mixture onto one side of the bacon. Transfer the bacon to the wire rack, brown-sugar side up. Bake until crispy, about 30 minutes.
In a medium size bowl, combine the ground beef, ground pork and seasonings. Form into four patties, making each one thinner at the center and thicker at the edges for even cooking.
In a skillet or griddle pan, heat the oil over medium-high. Cook the patties, turning once, 8-10 minutes for medium doneness. Top each patty with one slice of cheese during the last minute or two of cooking. Transfer the patties to a plate then cook the eggs over-easy.
In a small bowl, mix the butter, 1 tablespoon maple syrup and mustard. Spread the maple-mustard butter on the English muffins.
Divide the patties among the muffin bottoms. Top with the bacon, eggs and muffin tops.