Buffalo Joes with Blue Cheese and Carrot-Celery Slaw Relish
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
For the Relish:
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons super fine sugar
- 1 cup chopped cabbage
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 2 to 3 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- Salt and pepper
For the Buffalo Joes:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 pounds ground turkey or chicken
- Salt and pepper
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 Red Fresno or Holland chili peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon (about 1/3 palmful) ground allspice
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup turkey or chicken stock
- 1/3 cup Frank’s Red Hot sauce
- 3 tablespoons (packed) light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 6 to 8 burger rolls, split
- 2 cups crumbled smoked blue cheese (get my favorite at http://www.oscarsadksmokehouse.com/) or regular blue cheese crumbles
For the relish, in a large bowl, whisk together the vinegar, oil and sugar. Add vegetables to bowl and toss with dressing and celery seed; season with salt and pepper. Let the relish stand 30 minutes. Drain.
In a cast-iron or other deep skillet, heat the oil over medium-high. Melt the butter into the oil. When the butter foams, add the meat; season with salt and pepper. Cook, breaking the meat up with a spoon, until brown, about 10 minutes.
Add the onion, garlic, chiles and allspice. Cook, stirring often, until the onion softens, 5 minutes. Stir in the tomato sauce, stock, hot sauce, brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until thickened, about 2 minutes.
Serve the meat piled on the rolls, topped with the blue cheese and relish.