Buffalo Turkey Burgers with Blue Cheese Gravy and Chili Fries
- 5 big Idaho potatoes, cut into wedges
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds lean ground turkey breast
- A palmful of grill seasoning
- 1/4 cup hot sauce
- 1/2 cup chives (about a palmful), plus extra for garnish, chopped
- 1 cup parsley (about a handful), chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cups blue cheese
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into sticks
- 3 stalks of celery, cut into sticks
- 4 Kimmelwick rolls or 4 slices rye bread
Pre-heat the oven to 450ºF.
Place the quartered potato wedges on a baking sheet and drizzle with 2 tablespoons of EVOO, chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, salt and freshly ground black pepper. Toss to coat. Transfer to the oven and roast for 40-45 minutes, until crispy and cooked through.
In a large bowl, mix the turkey, grill seasoning, hot sauce, chives, parsley, garlic, salt and freshly ground black pepper. Form four large patties.
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat with the remaining 2 tablespoons of EVOO, two turns around the pan. Sauté the burgers about 5 minutes on each side, until cooked through.
In a medium size skillet over medium-high heat, melt the butter. Sprinkle the flour over the butter and cook it for about 1 minute. Whisk the milk into the roux and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. When the milk comes up to a bubble and has thickened, take the pan off the heat and stir the cheese into the sauce in a figure-eight motion.
To serve, place the top of the roll or a slice of rye bread on a plate, then top with the burger and some chopped chives. Serve potato wedges, celery and carrot sticks and a cup of warm, blue cheese dip for each person alongside.
This is one of many “Yum-o!” recipes – it’s good and good for you. To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael’s nonprofit organization, go to www.yum-o.org.