Burst Cherry Tomato and Chimichurri Penne
This vegetarian-friendly pasta dish may be enjoyed hot or cold.
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/4-1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper or 1 fresh red chili pepper, finely chopped
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup flat leaf parsley leaves
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, loosley packed
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
- 2 shallots, coarsely chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar or balsamic vinegar
- 1 pound penne
- Shaved ricotta salata, for topping
Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons EVOO, two turns of the pan, over medium-high. Add the garlic and crushed red pepper and stir to combine. Add the tomatoes and season with salt and pepper; cover the pan. Cook, shaking the pan occasionally, until the tomatoes burst, about 15 minutes.
For the chimichurri, in a food processor, pulse the herbs, shallots, lemon juice, vinegar and 1/4 cup EVOO to a smooth paste. (Add more EVOO if necessary.)
Salt the boiling water, add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain, reserving 1 cup of the starchy cooking water. Stir the starchy cooking water into the tomatoes.
Toss the pasta with the chimichurri and the tomatoes; season. Top with the ricotta salata.