Buttered Toast Crispy Fishwiches
Serve fish baked with buttered panko breadcrumbs and seasonings on a toasted English muffin for a nourishing meal.
- 4 tablespoons melted butter, plus some for toast
- 1 1/2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon Old Bay seasoning (a palmful)
- 1 tablespoon onion powder (a palmful)
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder (a palmful)
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon, divided (juice is optional)
- A couple of tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- A couple of tablespoons chives, finely chopped
- 4 cod fillets (6 ounces each)
- Salt and pepper
- 2 egg whites, beaten
- 4 sandwich-size English muffins, toasted and buttered or Breakfast Bread by Thomas’ brand or 8 slices English Muffin bread, toasted and lightly buttered
- Malt vinegar, for dressing
- Oil and vinegar-dressed slaw salad or shredded iceberg lettuce, for topping
- Bread-and-butter pickle slices, for topping
- Red onion, finely chopped, for topping
Pre-heat the oven to 425˚F.
Pour the melted butter over the panko breadcrumbs and work it into the crumbs to evenly distribute. Season the breadcrumbs with the Old Bay, onion powder, garlic powder, lemon zest, thyme and chives.
Season the fish with salt and pepper and coat in the egg whites, then the breadcrumbs and arrange on a slotted broiler pan or cooling rack arranged over a baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes, or until deeply golden and crispy; dress the fish with lemon juice or malt vinegar.
Place slaw or shredded lettuce on the toasted English muffin bottoms or English muffin bread and top with the fish. Add pickles and onions on top of the fish, followed by the English muffin tops or the remaining slices of toasted English muffin bread.
This is one of many “Yum-o!” recipes – it’s good and good for you. To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael’s nonprofit organization, go to www.yum-o.org.