Calamari-Two Minute Lifeguard Style
Mario Batali, chef / author / entrepreneur, has graciously given us this awesome calamari recipe. This 2 minute meal makes Rachael’s 30 Minute Meals seem long!
Visit Mario’s website for more great recipes!
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons currants
- 1 tablespoon hot chili flakes
- 4 tablespoons caper berries
- 2 cups basic tomato sauce (see Mario’s Simple Italian Food or you can use Rach’s recipe)
- 1 cup Israeli couscous, blanched two minutes and refreshed
- 1 1/2 pounds cleaned calamari, tubes cut into quarter-inch rounds, tentacles halved
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
In a 12-14 inch sauté pan, heat oil until just smoking. Add pine nuts, currants and chili flakes and saute until nuts are just golden brown, about 2 minutes. Add caper berries, tomato sauce, and couscous and bring to a boil. Add calamari, stir to mix and simmer two to three minutes, or until calamari is just cooked and completely opaque. Season with salt and pepper, pour into a large warm bowl, sprinkle with scallions and serve with warm Panelle.
Note: If you do not have access to Panelle, Sicilian street food sweet bread, then a nice piece of crusty Italian should do the trick!