Caramelized Onion Penne
- 1/2 pound whole wheat penne pasta
- Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste or 4 flat fillets
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese (a couple of handfuls)
- 1/4 cup fresh flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Salt the water and add the pasta. Cook to al dente and drain.
Heat the EVOO in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in the anchovy paste and let it melt into the EVOO. Add the onion and bay leaf and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Cook the onion until very soft and light caramel in color, about 20 minutes.
Stir in the cream and cook until heated through. Remove the bay leaf, then add the pasta and cheese and toss to coat. Transfer to a serving bowl, sprinkle with parsley and serve.