Carbonara with Asparagus and Peas
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- A fat pinch of saffron threads, about 30
- About 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/3 pound pancetta, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- Black pepper
- 1/2 pound thin asparagus, tough stems trimmed and thinly sliced on a bias
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup fresh, shelled or frozen peas
- A fat handful of flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup (a couple of handfuls) Parmigiano-Reggiano, grated
- 1/2 cup (a couple of handfuls) grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1 pound tagliatelle or linguine
Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the pasta.
Simmer the stock with saffron to steep the threads.
Heat a large, deep skillet over medium heat with 4 turns of the pan of olive oil. Add pancetta and a rounded teaspoon of coarse black pepper. Render pancetta 3 minutes then add asparagus, shallots, garlic and peas, and toss 2-3 minutes more. Add wine, reduce heat to low and let simmer.
In a mixing bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the saffron stock to temper then add cheese.
Cook pasta in liberally salted water to al dente.
Remove sauce skillet from heat and add parsley, hot pasta and egg mixture. Toss 1 minute and serve in shallow bowls.