Cheddar Soup with Crispy Tortilla Crunch
This is the first course in this delish 60 Minute Thanksgiving meal.
- Spanish Nibbles:
- Hot Olives with Citrus and Spice
- Marcona Almonds,
- Paprika Toasted Chickpeas
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and very thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 6 cups good-quality cheddar cheese, grated
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (a palmful)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin (1/2 palmful)
- 4 cups lightly crushed blue or yellow corn tortilla chips
- 2 cups store-bought chunky-style salsa, any variety
In a medium size soup pot, melt the butter. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and peppers and cook for 2-3 minutes more. Add the flour and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in the stock slowly and stir in the cream. Bring the soup to a bubble and reduce the heat to simmer.
Stir in the cheese and season the soup with salt, pepper, chili powder and cumin. Let the soup reduce for 10-15 minutes over low heat, then serve with the crushed chips and dollops of salsa.