Cheddar-Whole Wheat Waffle BLT Sandwiches
Fresh herbs, sharp cheddar cheese and a maple-mustard sauce flavor this BLT-for-breakfast sammie.
- 8 slices bacon
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- A few grinds of black pepper
- 1 round tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 large egg (plus 1 per person to top sandwiches with over-easy eggs, if desired)
- 1/3 cup melted butter, plus some to brush waffle iron
- 5- 6 ounces sharp cheddar (about 1 1/2 cups), grated
- 1/4 cup fresh herbs such as tarragon, parsley and chives, chopped
- 1/2 cup maple or honey mustard, homemade (1-to-1 ratio) or store-bought
- Romaine lettuce leaves
- Sliced beefsteak tomatoes
Heat the oven to 375°F and bake the bacon to crisp on a slotted broiler pan.
Pre-heat the waffle iron to high.
Whisk up the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, whisk up the milk, egg and melted butter. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and combine. Stir in the cheddar and herbs.
Brush the waffle iron with melted butter and fill the iron with batter. Cook the waffles to crisp; keep warm in a low oven and repeat. Cut into eight waffles to build sandwiches.
Make sandwiches of two waffles each: Spread with maple mustard and fill with bacon, lettuce and tomato. Add an over-easy egg if you are really hungry.