Cheeseburger Lettuce Wraps
Skip the buns and place mini cheeseburgers in lettuce leaves for a snack, appetizer or light main meal.
- 1 1/2 pounds ground sirloin
- 1/2 small white or yellow onion, grated
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- Salt and black pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1/2 pound brick sharp cheddar cheese, sliced into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, cut in quarters and leaves gently removed for cups
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 large dill or half sour pickles, chopped
Pre-heat a grill pan, outdoor grill or a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
In a medium size mixing bowl, combine the meat with onion, ketchup and mustard. Form twelve large meatballs. Flatten the meatballs into small patties and season with salt and pepper. Drizzle the meatballs with EVOO to keep them from sticking to the cooking surface and place them on the pre-heated grill pan or grill. Cook for 3 minutes on each side, then add the cheese to melt over the patties. On an outdoor grill, close the lid to melt the cheese. In a skillet or on a grill pan, tent the mini cheeseburgers loosely with foil to melt the cheese.
Arrange the mini cheeseburgers on an individual lettuce cup and top with the chopped tomatoes and pickles.