Cheesy Bacon Fennel Dip
Serve this hearty dip with radishes, endive and pumpernickel or rye bread.
- 8 slices of bacon, chopped
- 1 large fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 brick cream cheese (8 ounces)
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup crumbled gorgonzola cheese
- Salt and black pepper
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon flat leaf parsley
- 1 bunch radishes, cleaned and chopped in half, if large, for serving
- 2 Belgian endive leaves, separated, for serving
- Sliced bread, pumpernickel and/or rye bread serving
Pre-heat the oven to 400˚F.
In a skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp; remove the bacon and set aside, leaving the bacon drippings in the skillet.
Add the fennel and garlic to the skillet with the bacon drippings and cook over medium heat, about 10 minutes, until the fennel is just tender and begins to brown, stirring occasionally.
Remove the fennel from the heat. Add the cream cheese, sour cream, gorgonzola cheese, reserved bacon, salt and pepper to the fennel; mix well.
Divide the mixture between two small ovenproof crocks.
In a small bowl, combine the parmesan cheese, breadcrumbs, and parsley; top the fennel mixture in each crock with the parmesan mixture.
Bake, uncovered, for 15 minutes, or until just heated through and the tops are light brown. Serve with radishes, endive and pumpernickel or rye bread.