Not only will picky eaters eat this – they might even prepare it for you!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cans chicken or vegetable broth or stock (14 ounces)
- 2 cups orzo pasta (enriched rice may be substituted)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano or Romano cheese
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat an 8-inch pot with a tight fitting cover over moderate heat. Add EVOO, onion and garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Add broth to the pan and bring to a boil. Stir in orzo and return broth to a boil. Cover pot and reduce heat to simmer. Cook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until liquid is absorbed and pasta tender.
Remove lid and stir in cheese. Season with salt and pepper to your taste. Your favorite fresh herbs may also be stirred into the orzo or rice to strengthen the flavor even more.