Chicken and Broccolini with Orange Sauce
This sweet and sassy Asian-flavored chicken stir fry with broccolini and rice is a great all-in-one meal.
- 2 1/4 cups chicken stock, divided
- 1 cup Texmati rice or white rice
- 1 small bunch scallions, thinly sliced on an angle
- 1 large bundle broccolini, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken, white or dark meat (3 pieces breast or 5-6 thighs)
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons high-temperature cooking oil, such as canola, safflower or peanut, divided
- 1 1-inch piece of ginger root, grated or finely chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup Tamari (dark soy sauce), soy sauce or low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup orange marmalade
Bring 1 3/4 cups stock to a boil. Stir in the rice, cover, reduce the heat to simmer and cook for 15-18 minutes, until tender. Add the scallions and fluff with a fork.
Bring a few inches of water to a boil for the broccolini.
Meanwhile, thinly slice the chicken thighs or, if using breast meat, butterfly each breast into cutlets, then thinly slice. Season the sliced chicken with salt and pepper.
To boiling water, add some salt and the broccolini. Parboil the broccolini for 3-4 minutes, then drain, run under cool water and reserve.
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in large nonstick skillet over high heat. To the very hot pan, add the chicken and stir fry until golden, no more than 5 minutes. Remove the chicken to a plate and reserve. Add the remaining tablespoon oil to the pan, along with the ginger and garlic. Stir for 30 seconds, then add the Tamari , marmalade and remaining 1/2 cup stock. Add the chicken and broccolini back to pan to heat until the sauce is thickened.
Serve the chicken and broccolini over rice.
This is one of many “Yum-o!” recipes – it’s good and good for you. To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael’s nonprofit organization, go to www.yum-o.org.