Chicken and Green Apple Curry with Mashed Major Grey Chutney Sweet Potatoes
This fragrant curry is accompanied by delicious and nutritious sweet potatoes and complemented by mild mango chutney. Smoked almonds are your secret ingredient for the topping.
- 1 large bone-in, skin-on chicken breast (about 2 pounds)
- 1 leek, coarsely chopped and washed
- 1 carrot, thickly sliced
- A few ribs celery, thickly sliced
- 1 small onion, halved
- A few curry leaves (optional)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 green apples, peeled and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 1-inch piece of ginger root, grated
- 2-3 cloves garlic, grated or chopped
- 3 tablespoons Madras curry powder
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups chicken stock, divided
- 3/4 cup Major Grey mango chutney, such as Patak’s mild brand, divided
- 2-3 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup crème fraiche or Greek yogurt
- 2-3 tablespoons crystalized ginger, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup smoked almonds, preferred brand Diamond Smokehouse, coarsely chopped
- 1 small bunch scallions, whites and greens, thinly sliced on bias
Place the chicken breast in a pot with leek, carrot, celery, both halves of the small onion and the curry leaves, if using. Add enough water to just cover chicken and add salt. Bring to a low, rolling boil and reduce the heat to keep at a rolling simmer; cook fo 30 minutes, turning once, then let the chicken cool in the cooking liquids. Remove the chicken from the skin and bones and pull into bite-size pieces or dice; strain the liquids. You’ll have more than you need for the recipe, so freeze or refrigerate the extra stock to use later.
Heat a deep skillet over medium heat; add the butter and melt. Add the large chopped onion, apples, ginger and garlic and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 10-12 minutes to soften, then add the curry powder; stir for a minute, then add the flour and stir for a minute more. Add 3 cups stock and let thicken a bit; add the chicken and 1/4 cup chutney. Simmer for a few minutes to combine the flavors, then taste to adjust the seasoning
Meanwhile, place the sweet potatoes in a pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, then season the water with salt and drain when tender. Return to the hot pot and mash with 1/2-1 cup chicken stock to desired consistency; stir in 1/2 cup chutney and the chopped crystalized ginger and season with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat and combine with crème fraiche or yogurt.
Place the potatoes in shallow bowls and make a well. Fill with the chicken and apple curry and top with smoked almonds and scallions.