Chicken and Waffle Monte Cristos with Rosemary-Maple Gravy
Serve this hearty meal with Melon Melba Bowls.
- 8 slices thick-cut bacon or sliced pancetta
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (6 ounces each)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 1/2-2 cups multi-grain pancake mix, such as Highland Sugarworks brand
- 1 large egg
- 1-1 1/2 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- A generous handful of grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), for drizzling
- 2 sprigs rosemary, leaves finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/3 cup dark amber maple syrup
Pre-heat the oven to 325°F.
Arrange the bacon on a slotted pan or on a cooling rack set on top of a baking sheet. Bake the bacon or pancetta until crisp, 15-20 minutes.
Meanwhile, cut each chicken breast horizontally to make two small cutlets from each piece. Pound the cutlets very thin and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Pre-heat the waffle iron.
Melt 2 tablespoons butter in small dish in the microwave. Combine the pancake mix, egg, milk, vegetable oil, nutmeg, cheese and a pinch of salt in a medium size bowl. Brush the waffle iron with the melted butter and fill it with half of the batter, enough to make a foursquare waffle.
While the waffle cooks, heat a drizzle of EVOO in large skillet over medium-low heat and add the chicken cutlets. Sauté, four cutlets at a time, until cooked through, a couple of minutes on each side.
When the cutlets are all cooked, add the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter to the pan. When the butter has melted, stir in the rosemary and cook for 1 minute. Sprinkle in the flour, stir for 1 more minute, then whisk in the stock. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, then add the syrup. Reduce the heat to low.
Make a second waffle, while keeping the first one warm in the oven with the bacon.
To serve, cut the waffles into 8 squares. Arrange a chicken cutlet on each waffle and top with a couple of slices of bacon or pancetta. Add a second cutlet on top of the bacon and cover with another waffle. Cut the chicken and bacon wafflewich from corner to corner and serve with gravy poured over the top or in individual ramekins for dipping.