Chicken Fajita Tortilla Soup
Serve with Grapefruit Margarita.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 packages chicken tenders, 1 1/2 -2 pounds
- 1 tablespoon coriander, (a palmful)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves, (5-6 sprigs)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 large bell pepper, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes (28 ounces)
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 1 bag white corn tortilla chips
- 1 cup shredded pepper Jack or sharp white cheddar
- 1 ripe avocado, diced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 4 scallions, chopped
- Handful fresh cilantro leaves or fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
Heat a large skillet with EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add chicken, begin to brown 4 minutes, add coriander, thyme, salt and pepper, to taste, onions, bell pepper and jalapeno, season with salt and pepper, to taste. Cook 8-10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add tomatoes and stock, heat through.
While the soup is working, lightly crush some tortilla chips and divide among 4 bowls. You need a couple of handfuls per bowl. Top the chips with a little cheese. Toss the avocado with lime juice. Top the chips with ladles of soup. Garnish soup with avocado, scallions and cilantro or parsley.