Chicken in Deviled Gravy
Warm up the whole family tonight with chicken coated with a hot and spicy sauce.
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts (about 8 ounces each), pounded 1/2-inch thick
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2-3 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 small fresh red chili pepper, seeded and finely chopped, or 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup dry vermouth or white wine
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce, such at Frank’s RedHot
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 slices toast, buttered
Season the chicken with salt and pepper. In a skillet, heat the EVOO over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook, turning, for 10 minutes. Off the heat, cover to keep warm.
Add the butter to the pan over medium-low heat. Stir in the shallots, garlic and the chili pepper; season with salt and pepper. Cook for 3 minutes. Whisk in the flour, paprika and mustard. Whisk in the stock and vermouth (or white wine); bring to a bubble. Whisk in the hot sauce, parsley and Worcestershire.
Add the chicken and its juices to the gravy and turn to coat completely. Serve the chicken on toast points.