Chicken in Romanesco Sauce
- 2 red bell peppers or 1 red and 1 yellow pepper
- 1/2 cup Marcona almonds or blanched raw almonds
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley leaves
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Zest and juice of 1 orange
- 2 large cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 Fresno chili pepper
- 1/2 red onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 large heirloom tomato
- 2 tablespoons EVOO
- 8 bone-in chicken thighs
- 1 teaspoon smoked sweet paprika
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
Char the bell peppers under a broiler or over a gas flame, turning occasionally. Place the peppers in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let cool. Peel off the charred skin and remove the seeds.
Meanwhile, toast the almonds in a pan or in the oven until golden, then let cool.
Place the roasted bell peppers in a food processor along with the almonds, chicken stock, parsley, lemon and orange zest and juice, the garlic, chili pepper and red onion. Grate the tomato on the large holes of a box grater. Discard the skin and add the tomato pulp to the food processor. Puree until smooth.
Meanwhile, heat the EVOO in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle the chicken with paprika, salt and pepper and cook until browned, 3-4 minutes per side. Add the sherry to the skillet and scrape up any browned bits from the bottom with a wooden spoon. Stir in the roasted pepper sauce, reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, until the chicken is cooked through, 10-12 minutes. Transfer the chicken to plates and spoon the sauce over top.