Chicken Parm Salad Subs
This is a lighter take on a chicken parm sub. Try serving with Grilled Roasted Red Peppers with Cheese.
- 1/3 cup vegetable stock
- 1 cup packed basil leaves
- A handful of flat leaf parsley
- A handful of fresh mint leaves
- 1 large clove garlic, peeled
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 4 ripe plum tomatoes, seeded and sliced lengthwise into thin strips
- 1 small red onion or 1/2 medium onion, very thinly sliced or chopped
- 1 rotisserie chicken
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 sesame sub rolls, split
- Olive oil and herb potato chips, for serving
Combine the vegetable stock with the herbs in a food processor.
Finely chop the garlic, then mash into a paste with some salt using the flat side of your knife. Add the paste to the herbs along with the Parmigiano Reggiano. Turn the processor on and stream in the EVOO. Transfer the basil dressing to a salad bowl and add the tomatoes, onion and mozzarella.
Remove the skin from the chicken and chop or shred into bite-size pieces to yield about 4 cups. Add the chicken to the salad bowl and season with pepper. Toss the salad and adjust the seasonings, to taste.
Fill the sub rolls with the chicken salad and serve with a few chips alongside.