Chicken Parmigiano Soup
This soup only takes 15 minutes to prepare and is one of Rach’s favorite new recipes!
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus some for drizzling
- 4 chicken breasts, pounded out and cut into bite-size pieces
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cloves garlic (3 chopped, 1 for rubbing bread)
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 can chunky tomatoes (28 ounces)
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 1 cup basil, chopped
- 8 thick slices Italian semolina bread
- 1 cup Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
Heat a large pot over medium-high heat with two tablespoons of EVOO, about two turns of the pan. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and add to pot. Cook for about 3-4 minutes, or until just cooked through. Remove from the pot and set aside. Add the other two tablespoons of EVOO along with the chopped garlic, onions and red pepper flakes.
Cook for about 3-4 minutes. Add tomatoes and the stock, bring to a simmer and cook for about 3-4 minutes. Add chicken back to the pot and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the chopped basil and stir to combine.
While the soup is cooking, drizzle the sliced bread with some EVOO and season with salt and pepper. Place on a baking sheet and toast until lightly golden, about 3-4 minutes. Remove from the oven, rub each piece with the garlic clove and top with parmesan cheese. Place back in the oven for 1-2 minutes.
Serve soup topped with 2 pieces of parmesan toast or, if you prefer, put the bread on the bottom and the soup on top.