Chicken Satay Naan
Grilled sliced satay chicken piled on naan with lettuce, thinly sliced scallion and seedless cucumber is a refreshing and easy meal.
- 1/3 cup chunky peanut butter
- About 1/2 cup chicken stock
- About 4 – 5 tablespoons tamari (dark soy sauce)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar or honey
- 1 small fresno chile pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, grated or minced
- 1 piece (1 inch) fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon lime (or lemon) zest plus 1 tablespoon lime (or lemon) juice
- 4 small skinless, boneless chicken breasts or 8 skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil or extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- Salt and pepper
- 4 pieces garlic naan bread
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Shredded iceberg lettuce and thinly sliced scallion and seedless cucumber, for topping
Pre-heat an outdoor grill, grill pan or cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. In a saucepan, melt the peanut butter over low heat. Stir in the chicken stock, tamari and brown sugar (or honey), then the chile, shallot, garlic, ginger and lime (or lemon) zest and juice. Gently simmer over low heat for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, coat the chicken in the oil. Season with the turmeric, cumin, coriander, salt and pepper. Grill or broil, turning occasionally, for 12 minutes.
Splash a little water on the grill or grill pan and add the naan to crisp slightly. Melt the butter in a small saucepan or in the microwave and brush it onto the naan.
Slice the chicken and pile onto the naan. Top with the lettuce, scallion, cucumber and lots of sauce.