Chicken Satay Noodle Soup
- 1/2 pound whole wheat spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3/4 pound chicken breast cutlets, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons Tamari (dark soy sauce)
- 1/4 cup Thai red curry paste
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 1-inch piece fresh ginger, thinly sliced
- 1/2 head napa or Savoy cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1/4 cup chopped peanuts
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- Lime wedges, for serving
Bring a large pot of water to boil, salt it, add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain.
Meanwhile, in a soup pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the chicken and garlic and cook, stirring, until the chicken is opaque, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Add the peanut butter, Tamari, curry paste and tomato paste to the pot and stir. Increase the heat to medium-high and whisk in the chicken broth; add the ginger. Bring to a boil, then stir in the cabbage and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes. Return the chicken to the pot and stir in the apple juice.
Divide the pasta among four bowls. Ladle the soup over the pasta. Top with the bean sprouts, peanuts, scallions and cilantro. Serve with the lime wedges.