Chicken Sausage, Pepper and Onion Subs
This recipe is a different twist on the classic sausage, pepper and onions sub. Don’t be afraid to try something new with the giardiniera relish.
- 4 cooked chicken sausages, available at your meat counter – get a Mediterranean flavor, such as pepper and onion or sundried tomato and basil
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- 1/3 cup chicken stock or dry white wine (a generous douse)
- 1 cubanelle pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup giardiniera (Italian pickled vegetable salad made of hot peppers, cauliflower, carrots and celery mix available in jars on Italian food aisle or in bulk bins near olives)
- A handful Italian flat leaf parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh basil (about 10 leaves)
- 1/2 a lemon, zested (2 teaspoons)
- 4 crusty sub rolls, split
Prick sausages with a fork. Place chicken sausages in a large skillet and add one inch of water. Add one tablespoon EVOO to the skillet, about one turn of the pan. Bring water to a boil, then reduce heat a little. Allow all the liquid to cook away, then brown and crisp the casings, 5-6 minutes. Deglaze the pan with stock or wine and cook it off, about one minute. Remove sausages to a platter.
While sausage cooks, slice the peppers and onions and prepare the garlic. Once the chicken sausage comes out of the pan, add two tablespoons EVOO, about two turns of the pan. Add veggies and garlic, season with salt and pepper and cook 10 minutes.
Place the giardiniera, parsley, basil and lemon zest in the food processor and grind into a relish.
Slice sausages on an angle. Fill each roll with a little relish, then peppers and onions followed by the sliced sausages.