Chicken Tortilla Pie
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin (2/3 palmful)
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander (2/3 palmful)
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper (1/3 palmful)
- Juice of 1 lime
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1-2 jalapeños, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup beer or chicken broth
- 12 tomatillos, husks removed, fruit rinsed and chopped (about 1-1 1/4 pounds)
- Four 8-inch flour tortillas
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
In a medium nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon EVOO, one turn of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the ground chicken and cook, stirring, until browned, 2-3 minutes. Add the zucchini and bell pepper, followed by the cumin, coriander and pepper; season with salt. Cook over medium heat for 10-12 minutes. Stir in the lime juice.
In a medium saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon EVOO, one turn of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, onion and jalapeños and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the beer and boil to reduce by half, about 3 minutes. Add the tomatillos and simmer for 6-7 minutes.
Heat a large skillet over high heat and blister the tortillas, about 30 seconds on each side.
Pre-heat the broiler to high.
Brush the inside of an 8-inch round cake pan with the remaining 1 tablespoon EVOO, 1 turn of the pan. Place a tortilla in the pan, then top with a third of the chicken, a quarter of the tomatillo sauce and 1/2 cup cheese. Repeat the layering two more times. Top with the remaining tortilla, tomatillo sauce and cheese. Broil for 2 minutes until the cheese is melted.