Chicken with Mushroom-Dijon Gravy
- 1 1/2 cups white and wild rice blend
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 pound asparagus, ends trimmed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 pound button mushrooms, sliced (or buy the pre-packaged sliced mushrooms to save yourself some time)
- 3 shallots, sliced
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves removed from stems
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup heavy cream (optional)
Cook the rice according to package directions.
Bring a pot of water to a boil over high heat for the asparagus.
While the rice is cooking, heat the EVOO in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When the EVOO is hot, cook the chicken breasts until brown on each side and cooked through.
Once the water is boiling, add some salt and the asparagus and cook until tender. Drain and reserve.
When the chicken is finished, remove it from the pan and reserve. Add the butter to the hot pan and melt. Add the mushrooms to the pan and brown, about 4-5 minutes. Add the shallots and thyme and cook until tender, about 3-4 minutes. When all the vegetables are tender, sprinkle the flour over the mushrooms and shallots, cook for about 1 minute, then stir in the white wine, chicken stock, Dijon mustard and heavy cream. Cook about 2 minutes, until thickened.
Serve the chicken topped with the Dijon gravy and the rice and asparagus alongside.
This is one of many “Yum-o!” recipes – it’s good and good for you. To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael’s nonprofit organization, go to www.yum-o.org.