Chicken with Roasted Red Pepper, Chorizo and Sweet Pea Sauce over Rice
By keeping a well stocked pantry, you can make this recipe by picking up as little as just three items at the store: chicken, chorizo and romaine hearts. Every other ingredient in this menu is a good example of ingredients you can always keep on hand, replenishing them every 3-4 weeks.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large onion, chopped, divided
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups white rice
- 3 cups chicken stock, divided
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (6-8 ounces each)
- 1/2 tablespoon smoked paprika (1/2 a palmful)
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme (1/3 of a palmful)
- 3/4 pound chorizo sausage (in packaged meats case near kielbasa at the grocery store), cut in 1/2 lengthwise then thinly sliced
- 2 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 small carrot, peeled and grated
- 2 roasted red peppers, chopped
- 1 box frozen peas (10 ounces)
- 1/4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley (a generous handful)
Heat a medium size saucepot over medium heat with one tablespoon of EVOO, about one turn around the pan, and the butter. Add a quarter of the chopped onion and season with salt and pepper, cook for about one minute, add then add the rice and stir to coat in the EVOO. Add 2 1/2 cups of chicken stock to the rice and bring up to a boil. Cover the pot, reduce heat to simmer and cook rice for 15-18 minutes or until tender and cooked through.
While the rice is cooking, start the chicken. Pre-heat a large skillet over medium-high heat with about two tablespoons of EVOO. Season the chicken breasts with smoked paprika, salt, pepper and thyme; add the seasoned chicken to the skillet. Cook breasts 5-6 minutes on each side or until cooked through.
Remove the chicken from the skillet to a plate and loosely cover with aluminum foil. Return the skillet to the stovetop and, over medium-high heat, add chorizo. Cook for two minutes, stirring frequently. Add the remaining onion, garlic, grated carrot and roasted red pepper to the chorizo and season with a little salt and pepper. Cook until the onions are slightly tender, about 2-3 minutes. Add 1/2 cup of chicken stock, scraping up any bits that have stuck to the bottom of the pan. Add the frozen peas and parsley; continue to cook for 1-2 minutes to heat the peas through. Taste and adjust seasonings with a little salt and pepper.
To serve, arrange the chicken breasts on dinner plates and top with lots of sauce. Fluff the rice with a fork and serve alongside.