Chicken with Tarragon Cream and Green Bean Rice Pilaf
Company coming? Serve this chicken with a rich and creamy tarragon sauce that guests of all ages will enjoy!
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 cup thin spaghetti, broken
- 1 cup white rice
- 2 3/4 cups chicken stock, divided
- 1 cup frozen French-cut green beans
- Salt and pepper
- 4 pieces skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 8 small white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/3 cup creme fraiche or sour cream
- 3 tablespoons fresh tarragon, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
In a medium saucepan with a tight-fitting lid, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Add the spaghetti and cook until browned, 2-3 minutes. Add the rice, then stir in 1 3/4 cups chicken stock and bring to a boil. Lower the heat, cover the pot and cook for 18 minutes. Stir in the green beans, then cover and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand for a couple of minutes, then fluff with a fork and season with salt and pepper.
Meanwhile, season the chicken with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat the EVOO, one turn of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook, turning once, until golden, about 12 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
Add the remaining 2 tablespoons butter to the skillet and lower the heat to medium. Stir in the mushrooms and shallot and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, then sprinkle in the flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Whisk in the remaining 1 cup chicken stock and the crème fraiche, tarragon, mustard and any chicken juices.
Slice the chicken and serve alongside or on top of the rice. Spoon the sauce on top.
This is one of many “Yum-o!” recipes – it’s good and good for you. To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael’s nonprofit organization, go to www.yum-o.org.