Chickpea and Roasted Cauliflower Stew
These days, I cook everything for my family from pork to beef but I live a predominantly vegetarian lifestyle. It really works for me and I don’t miss meat at all especially when I’m eating simple and delicious recipes like this Cauliflower and Chickpea Stew. Whether you are vegetarian or not, going meatless one day a week is a great way to reduce your carbon footprint and eat a healthier diet.
- 2 heads cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1/2 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fennel seed
- 3/4 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4-5 cups chicken stock or water
- 1 can chopped tomatoes (15 ounces)
- 2 cans chickpeas (15 ounces each), drained
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Toss together the cauliflower, 1/4 cup olive oil and a little salt and place on a baking sheet. Roast until fork tender, about 8-10 minutes. Set aside.
In a large pot, heat the remaining olive oil over a medium-high flame. Add in the shallots and garlic and cook for a minute or so, just to release the aroma and flavor the oil. Add in the cumin, cinnamon, fennel seed and cayenne pepper and stir to release the aroma of the spices, about 15 seconds.
Turn the heat down to a simmer and add in the chicken stock, chopped tomatoes, chickpeas and roasted cauliflower. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer the stew over medium heat until it thickens slightly, about 20 minutes. Stir in the parsley before serving. Serve alongside couscous or rice.