Chili Burgers with Southern-Style Slaw, Mustard and Onions
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
- 2 tablespoons fine sugar
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 2 cups grated or shredded cabbage
- 1 pound ground beef or turkey
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup grated onion
- 2 cloves garlic, grated or pasted
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon green or red chili powder, such as Gebhart’s
- 2 4-ounce cans green chilies, drained
- 1/2 cup loosely packed cilantro, chopped
- 4 slices Monterey Jack or white American cheese
- 4 slices Pepper Jack cheese
- 4 brioche rolls, split and toasted
- Yellow mustard, for serving
- Chopped raw onion, for serving
In a mixing bowl, whisk together sugar, vinegar, 2 tablespoons oil and celery salt. Add carrot and cabbage; toss to combine.
Mix meat with salt, pepper, onion, garlic, cumin, chili powder, green chilies and cilantro. Form into 4 patties that are thinner at center and thicker at edges for even cooking.
Heat a skillet over medium-high heat with remaining tablespoon of vegetable oil. Cook patties 8 minutes, turning occasionally. Melt a slice of each of the 2 cheeses over each patty in last 2 minutes of cooking time.
Serve patties on toasted rolls topped with slaw, some yellow mustard and raw onions.
Serve with tater tots or oven fries alongside with barbecue sauce or ketchup for dipping taters.