Chili Cheese Dogs in Beach Blankets
What’s cooler than a corn dog? A chili dog with cheese in a blanket! Check out this walk-around-and-eat-it summer fun dog with the works!
Rachael says, “I’m sending a shout-out to my friend Rob Walls who gave me the big idea of Frankenstuffers – sauerkraut and mustard wrapped dogs. These Chili Cheese Dogs in Beach Blankets would not be possible with out your big, bright ideas, fella!”
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil or extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 3/4 pound ground beef or turkey or tempeh, chopped to fine crumble by a grown-up helper (GH)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (a palmful)
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 2 teaspoons dehydrated onion
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tube pizza dough, from the dairy aisle at the grocery store
- 8 beef, turkey, pork or tofu dogs
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Pre-heat oven to 400°F. Ask your GH for help with the oven, if you need it.
In a small pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Ask your GH for help with the stove, if you need it. Add the meat to the pot and brown it up, 6-7 minutes. Season the meat up with chili powder, granulated garlic, dehydrated onion and a little salt and pepper. Add the tomato paste to the pot and stir it around a minute, then add the water to help loosen the tomato paste up and get it everywhere. Turn the heat down to low and simmer for five minutes, then turn the heat off.
Roll the pizza dough out into a big rectangle. Cut the dough in half lengthwise with a small knife or have your GH cut it for you. Cut the dough into four equal pieces across so that you end up with eight small, rectangular pieces of dough.
Across the center of each rectangle, place a couple of spoonfuls of chili sauce and a small handful of cheese sprinkled on top. Set the dog on the dough and wrap and roll the pizza dough around the dog like a blanket, sealing in the chili and cheese too! The nubs of each end of the dog should be peeking out.
Bake in the oven 18 minutes, until golden. Yum-o!