Chili Meatball Bites with Cheesy Dipper
Need something quick to prepare but sure to please? These Chili Meatball Bites are the perfect recipe for your next gathering!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus extra for drizzling
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2-2 cups crushed tortilla chips (just use the bits in the bottom of the bag)
- 1 can kidney beans (14.5 ounces), drained, rinsed and patted dry
- 1 1/2 pounds ground sirloin
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cups beef stock
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Pre-heat the oven to 400ºF.
Place a medium skillet over medium-high heat with two turns of the pan of EVOO, about 2 tablespoons. Add the onion, bell pepper and garlic to the pan and cook until the veggies are tender, about 5 minutes. Add the spices to the pan and cook another minute. Season the veggies with salt and pepper and transfer to a bowl to cool.
Spread the crushed chips out on a plate or in a pie dish.
When the veggies are cool, add the beans and meat to the bowl, season with salt and pepper and combine. Shape the mixture into bite-size balls and roll each of them in the crushed chips. Arrange the meatball bites on a baking sheet, drizzle lightly with EVOO and bake until golden brown and cooked through, about 15 minutes.
While the meatballs are baking, place a pot over medium heat with the butter. When the butter has melted, sprinkle the flour on top of it and cook for about 1 minute. Whisk the stock and milk into the butter-flour mixture and bring up to a bubble. Season with salt and pepper, and simmer until thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove the pot from heat and whisk in the cheese until melted.
Serve the chili meatball bites with the cheesy dipper alongside.