Chili Sweet Potato Hash with Fried Eggs and Fresh Tomato Salsa
This dish will recharge you for breakfast, lunch or dinner. The sweet potatoes and yellow tomatoes add flavor and color, not to mention the jalapeño pepper!
Sweet potatoes or yams have gorgeous orange flesh and are, surprisingly, better for you that plain white potatoes! –RR
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1/2 pound bulk breakfast sausage, such as maple sausage
- 1 medium sweet potato, scrubbed clean, cut in 1/2 lengthwise, thinly sliced into 1/2 moons
- 1 large red onion thinly sliced, divided
- 2 teaspoons chili powder (2/3 palmful)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin (1/3 palmful)
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander (2/3 palmful)
- Salt and pepper
- 3 yellow vine-ripe tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 small jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (a palmful)
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/2 cup chopped flat leaf parsley (a few handfuls)
- 1 cup grated Manchego cheese or extra-sharp cheddar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 large eggs
Pre-heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat with two turns of the pan of EVOO, about two tablespoons. Add the breakfast sausage and break it up with the back of a wooden spoon into little chunks; brown sausage for three minutes. Add the sweet potatoes and 3/4 of the chopped red onion to the sausage. Season with chili powder, cumin, coriander, salt and pepper and cook, stirring frequently, for 10-12 minutes, or until the potatoes are nice and tender.
While the hash is cooking, in a small bowl combine the tomatoes, jalapeño and the remaining chopped red onion, cilantro, lime juice and a little salt and pepper.
Once the hash is cooked, add the chopped parsley, stir to combine and transfer hash to a serving platter. Sprinkle with the cheese and cover with aluminum foil, the cheese will melt while you make the fried eggs.
Wipe clean the skillet you made the hash in, return it to the cook top over medium-high heat and add the butter. Once the butter has melted, crack each of the eggs into the skillet, season with a little salt and pepper and fry to desired doneness. Eggs may, of course, be scrambled as well. As you like!
Transfer the fried eggs to the top of the hash, sprinkle with the fresh tomato salsa and serve.