Chinese-Style Pepper Steak Burgers
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
- 2 pounds 80% lean ground sirloin
- 1 tablespoon coarse black pepper
- 1 inch ginger root, peeled and grated or finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, grated or pasted
- 4 scallions, whites and light green tops finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons Tamari, divided
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil, divided
- 1 large red field or bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 large green pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 white onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup Xiaoshing wine or dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons black bean sauce
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 4 brioche burger rolls
Combine beef with black pepper, ginger, garlic, scallions, Worcestershire and 2 tablespoons Tamari. Mix well and form 4 patties that are thinner at the center for even cooking.
Heat a cast-iron skillet with a tablespoon of peanut oil, a turn of the pan. Add burgers and cook 8 minutes, turning occasionally.
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat with remaining 3 tablespoons oil over high heat. Add peppers and onions, and stir-fry 3-4 minutes to tender crisp. Add remaining tablespoon Tamari and wine or sherry, and reduce a minute. Melt in bean sauce and remove from heat; add in sesame oil.
Place burgers on buns, top with sherry-peppers and serve.