- 1 pound ground turkey breast
- 1 rib celery with leafy top, finely chopped
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning or ground thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 3 slices white bread, finely ground
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese (2 generous handfuls)
- Flat leaf parsley, finely chopped (a generous handful)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 slices baked ham
- 1/4-1/3 pound thinly sliced fontina or Swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- Olive oil, for frying
- Whole berry cranberry sauce or chutney
In a medium bowl, combine the turkey, celery, shallot, poultry seasoning and paprika. In a small bowl, combine the ground bread and milk, then squeeze the crumbs as you transfer them to the meat mixture. Mix in the egg, Parmigiano Reggiano and parsley and season with salt and pepper.
Spread a foot-long piece of waxed paper on a work surface. Using a rubber spatula, spread half of the meat mixture on the waxed paper to form an 8-inch square. Top with the ham and fontina cheese, then the remaining meat mixture, forming the same square shape. Seal the edges to enclose. Cut into four square patties and coat each patty in the breadcrumbs.
In a large skillet, heat 1 inch of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the patties and fry, turning once, until browned, about 10 minutes. Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with salt. Serve with the cranberry sauce.