Cowboy Hash and Eggs, Texas Toast and Salsa
This meal is a BLD meal – it can really be served any time of day (Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner). This recipe is simple comfort food, but packs a delicious variety of flavors.
Hash, Eggs and Texas Toast:
- 12 medium size mushrooms, quartered
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1/2 medium red onion, chopped
- 8 small red potatoes
- 3 slices applewood or hickory smoked bacon, chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 teaspoons grill seasoning, such as McCormick brand Montreal Steak Seasoning, or coarse salt and pepper
- Hot sauce, such as Tabasco brand, to your taste
- 2 cup shredded sharp cheddar, pepper Jack or smoked Cheddar cheese (8 ounces)
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 4 extra-large eggs
- 4 thick-cut slices bread, 1-1 1/2 inches thick, white, wheat or crusty farmhouse style
- 1 clove garlic, cracked away from skins
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper or several drops hot sauce
- Chopped fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish
Yellow Tomato Salsa: Any flavor or variety of store bought salsa that you may have in your pantry is a fine substitute here as well.
- 3 medium or 2 large yellow tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 1 serrano or jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons cilantro or parsley leaves, chopped
Chop all veggies for hash. Pierce potatoes with a fork and cook on high in microwave five minutes. Remove potatoes from microwave oven and cool for five minutes.
While potatoes are working, add chopped bacon to a large skillet over medium-high heat and brown until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain, wipe pan and return to heat.
Pre-heat broiler to high. Pre-heat a nonstick griddle pan for frying eggs over medium heat.
Chop or wedge potatoes. Add EVOO to the bacon skillet, which you returned to the heat, then potatoes. Begin to brown and crisp potatoes, two minutes on each side. Use this time to chop your salsa ingredients.
Combine salsa in a small bowl and season with salt.
Back to the hash: add the mushrooms to potatoes. Brown mushrooms a minute or two, then add peppers, onions and season mixture with grill seasoning blend or salt and pepper, then hot sauce. Cook 3-5 minutes longer until veggies are just tender and potatoes are cooked through. Turn off heat and add bacon back to the pan. Combine bacon with the veggies then add cheese to the pan to evenly cover the mixture. Tent the skillet with foil to gently melt cheese over vegetables and potatoes and to retain heat.
Add 1/2 tablespoon butter to pre-heated griddle pan. Crack extra-large eggs onto griddle and fry to desired doneness. Eggs may, of course, be scrambled as well. As you like!
Place thick-cut bread under broiler and toast six inches from heat on both sides. Place two tablespoons butter in a small cup with a clove of garlic and ground cayenne pepper or a few drops of hot sauce. Melt in microwave for 30 seconds.
Brush toast with garlic cayenne butter and sprinkle with parsley. Remove from broiler.
Transfer vegetable and bacon hash to plates. Top each portion with a single fried egg or arrange the fried eggs evenly over the platter. Serve with Texas garlic toast and serve the salsa on the side to complement either menu item.