Crab and Cod Cioppino
Serve this simple but sensational seafood stew that’s perfect for Christmas Eve, Good Friday or any special occasion!
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1/4 pound pancetta, finely diced
- 1 Fresno chili pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 small ribs celery, finely chopped
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons thyme, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 2 cups chicken or seafood stock
- 1 can San Marzano tomatoes
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, torn
- 2 pounds cod, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 pound lump crab (large pieces), picked for shells
- 1 tablespoon seafood seasoning
- Ciabatta bread, for mopping
Heat the EVOO in a deep skillet with a lid or a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the pancetta and render, about 3 minutes. Add the Fresno chili pepper, garlic, celery, shallot, thyme, bay leaf, salt and pepper. Stir to soften, 5-6 minutes, then add the sherry and reduce by half. Add the stock and tomatoes, breaking them up with a spoon or potato masher. Stir in the basil and simmer to thicken and combine the flavors, 8-10 minutes.
Season the cod and crab with seafood seasoning and slide the fish into the sauce. Cover and cook until the fish is opaque, 8-10 minutes; add the crab and heat through. Serve in shallow bowls with bread for mopping.