Crab and Corn Chowda-Mac
Serve with New England Dog and Slaw Bites and I-Scream Cones.
- 1 box large shell pasta
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, 1 turn of the pan
- 3 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped, with greens
- 1/2 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups shredded sharp white cheddar
- 1 tub lump fresh crabmeat (6 ounces), flaked
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- Couple pinches cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped or snipped fresh chives
Bring pasta water to boil and salt it. Cook pasta to al dente.
While pasta cooks, heat a large, deep skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Add EVOO to pan with the bacon. Cook bacon 3 minutes. Add onions and celery and cook 3 minutes more. Add bell pepper and cook another minute or two. Add flour and cook 1 to 2 minutes. Whisk in stock, then milk. When milk bubbles, add crab and corn to heat through, another minute. Stir in cheese, thyme and cayenne pepper. Melt cheese into sauce.
Drain pasta and toss with cheese, crab and corn sauce. Adjust seasoning. Ladle in bowls and garnish with chives.