Crack Chicken ‘n Slaw Sandwiches
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
For the Sriracha BBQ Sauce:
- 1 1/2 inches ginger root, peeled and minced or grated
- 2 large cloves garlic, chopped or grated
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Tamari
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup Sriracha
For the chicken:
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups panko
- 1 1/2 tablespoons superfine sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground Szechuan peppercorn or fine black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons granulated garlic
- 4 pieces boneless, skinless chicken (tenders removed), lightly pounded
- Safflower or peanut oil, to fry OR cooking spray, to oven-fry
- 4 sandwich rolls, brioche or soft buns
- Bread-and-butter pickles
For the Avocado Ranch Slaw:
- 1 avocado
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 cup sour cream or Greek yogurt
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 shallot, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped cilantro, chives and dill
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon superfine sugar
- 1/2 head savoy cabbage, shredded
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
For BBQ sauce, combine ingredients in a medium saucepot and simmer over medium-low heat.
Set up a breading station for the chicken: In a shallow dish, combine rice flour and corn starch; in another, beat the eggs; in a third, place Panko and season with sugar, pepper, salt and garlic powder. Coat each piece of chicken first in the flour, then the egg and lastly the breadcrumb mixture.
If frying, heat an inch of oil over medium-high heat in a deep-sided skillet. Add chicken and fry 7-8 minutes to deep golden, turning occasionally.
To oven-fry, place chicken on a nonstick baking sheet, spray with cooking spray and bake at 425°F to deep golden.
For the slaw, combine avocado with lime juice, sour cream or Greek yogurt, garlic, shallot, herbs, celery salt, and sugar in a food processor. Process until smooth. Add cabbage, carrots and poppy seeds to a large serving bowl and pour dressing over; toss to coat.
Dip chicken in BBQ sauce and place on roll bottoms. Top with pickles and slaw, set bun tops in place and serve.