Creamy Mushrooms & Kale
An interesting combo of mushrooms and kale enhanced with fresh herbs in a creamy wine sauce makes a pleasing side dish.
- 1 1/4 pounds mixed mushrooms (such as shiitake, porcini, and cremini)
- 1/4 cup EVOO
- 3 or 4 large cloves garlic, thinly sliced or finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons very thinly sliced fresh sage leaves
- 1 bunch lacinato kale (also called black, Tuscan, or dinosaur kale), stemmed and shredded or chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 cup Marsala wine
- 1/2 to 2/3 cup heavy cream
- Grated pecorino cheese, for serving
Stem the shiitakes, if using. Slice or coarsely chop all the mushrooms.
In a large skillet, heat the EVOO (4 turns of the pan) over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook until nicely browned, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic, thyme, and sage and stir for 2 to 3 minutes. Wilt in the kale. Season with salt, pepper, and a few grates of nutmeg. Deglaze the pan with the Marsala and reduce the liquid by half, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the cream, reduce the heat, and cook a few minutes to let the flavors combine and the cream thicken.
Serve topped with a few grates of pecorino.