Creamy Tomato-Basil Mug o’Soup
Make this super quick and easy soup for lunch, a snack or a light supper. The mug toppers make this soup extra yum-o!
- 2 cups whole or 2% milk
- 2 cans diced tomatoes, drained (14 ounces each)
- 2 rounded tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
- 1/2 stalk celery, coarsely chopped
- 2 sandwich size English muffins, split
- 1 clove garlic, cracked with a heavy pan
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), for drizzling
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano or Romano cheese
- Dried Italian seasoning blend, any brand
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, torn or shredded
Heat milk to a simmer over medium heat in a medium pot. Put tomatoes, tomato paste, onions, salt, pepper, sugar, flour, butter and celery into a food processor and grind until smooth.
Pour mixture into milk and raise heat to bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes.
Make your mug toppers: toast English muffins. Rub with cracked garlic and drizzle with EVOO. Top muffins with cheese and a pinch of dried Italian seasoning, then melt and brown cheese under broiler or in a toaster oven.
Stir fresh basil into soup and add seasonings to taste. Pour soup into mugs and cap mugs with your garlic muffin mug toppers.
This is a great recipe for kids and the whole family from Yum-o! It’s good AND good for you. For more information about Yum-o! go to the Yum-o! website.