Crisp Carrot Salad with Currants
From APL’s new book, Serious Barbecue.Get your copy today!
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon mild chile powder, preferably Chimayo, Ancho or Hatch
- 1 teaspoon tumeric
- 1/4 cup Zante currants
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 3 pounds carrots (about 12 large), peeled
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup coarsley chopped chives
Combine the shallots, ginger, vinegar, lemon juice, salt, cayenne, chile powder and tumeric in a bowl large enough to hold the carrots. Let sit at room temperature for 10 minutes to allow the flavors to develop.
Place the currants in a small bowl, pour over the water, and let sit for 10 minutes to plump. Drain and discard the water. It is preferable that the carrots be thinly sliced on a Japanese mandoline and then cut across into matchsticks. They can also be grated through a large grate using a food processor or box grater. You will need about 12 cups.
Add the carrots and the currants to the dressing and toss to coat.
Drizzle in 1/4 cup of the oil and the chives and toss again. Add additional oil as needed to coat the carrots.