Crispy Duck Salad with Bitter Orange Vinaigrette
If you have yet to try duck, this is a great recipe to start with. Grilled or sautéed chicken or pork is delicious with this dressing as well.
- 1 1/2-2 pounds packaged duck breast – ask at your meat counter – if the market does not carry duck breast year round, it can usually be ordered for you
- 1 sack mixed baby greens
- 1 head frissee greens – look for very lightly colored frissee
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced on an angle
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar (eyeball it)
- 2 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- Salt and pepper
Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
Score fat and skin on duck breasts. Place duck breast skin side down in a large, cold skillet with a oven safe handle. Put skillet on stove and turn burner to moderate heat. Cook breasts 5-8 minutes, turning once the skin crisps and most of the fat is rendered. Place the skillet in the oven and cook another 9-12 minutes. Meat should be pink at center.
Arrange greens on individual plates or one large platter. Arrange frissee and scallions on bed of baby greens.
Combine shallots, vinegar and marmalade. Let stand 10 minutes. Whisk in EVOO.
Slice duck breast and serve, about 6-8 ounces per person, arranging the sliced duck on the salad. Pour dressing evenly over duck and salad.