Crispy Fish with Shaved Zucchini Salad
Flavorful panko breadcrumbs add crunch to baked fish. A salad of zucchini, tomatoes and scallions with lemon and EVOO dressing adds a refreshing contrast.
- 2 egg whites, beaten
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups panko crumbs
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme (about 2 palmfuls), chopped
- 2 tablespoons chives (about 2 palmfuls), finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Old Bay seasoning (about a palmful)
- 1 tablespoon onion powder (about a palmful)
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder (about a palmful)
- 2 lemons
- 4 halibut or cod fillets (6 ounces each)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 small shallot, peeled
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3-4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 zucchini, shaved with a vegetable peeler into ribbons
- 1/2 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 small bunch scallions, thinly sliced on a long angle
Pre-heat the oven to 425°F.
Put the egg whites in a deep plate or shallow bowl. On another plate, pour the butter over the panko crumbs and work it into the crumbs to evenly distribute. Season the crumbs with the thyme, chives, Old Bay, onion powder, garlic powder and the grated peel of one of the lemons.
Season the fish with salt and pepper and coat in the egg whites, then in the panko crumbs. Arrange the fish on a slotted broiler pan or wire rack on top of a baking sheet. Bake the fish until deep golden and crisp, about 15 minutes.
While the fish bakes, grate the shallot into a shallow bowl and add the juice of the grated lemon and the mustard. Whisk in the EVOO; season with salt and pepper. Add the zucchini, tomatoes and scallions to the dressing and toss to coat.
Cut the second lemon into wedges and serve with the fish. Pile the zucchini salad alongside.