Crispy Potato and Ham-Wrapped Cod
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika (about a palmful)
- 4 small cod fillets (about 6 ounces each)
- 1-2 large Yukon gold potatoes, sliced paper-thin on a mandoline
- 12 paper-thin slices Serrano ham or prosciutto, or prosciutto, sliced paper-thin at the deli or on a mandoline
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
Season all of the fish fillets with salt, pepper and smoked paprika. Set aside.
On a roughly 6-inch square of parchment paper or foil, lay down two slices of potato, short ends touching and slightly overlapping. Shingle a piece of Serrano ham or prosciutto on top of the potato slices, leaving a small strip of potato exposed. Repeat to make a striped potato “mat” that has four bands of potato and four slices of meat.
Lay one piece of fish in the middle of the slices and fold the sides over the fish to enclose it in the pocket, using the parchment paper or foil for leverage. Set the pocket aside, seam-side down, and repeat to wrap the remaining slices of fish.
Place a large skillet over medium heat with three turns of the pan of EVOO, about 3 tablespoons. Add the wrapped fish pieces to the pan, seam-side down, and cook gently until the potatoes are golden brown and the fish is cooked through, 4-5 minutes per side.