Croque Madame Waffles
Ham, eggs and cheese added to waffle mix and topped with with eggs over-easy can be served for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
- 2 cups multigrain or buckwheat waffle mix
- 6 large eggs, divided
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons melted butter, plus additional melted butter for brushing the waffle iron
- About 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- About 1/4 pound sweet French-style ham, deli-sliced and chopped, or prosciutto cotto, chopped
- 1 cup shredded Gruyère cheese
- Honey-Dijon mustard and cornichons, for serving
Heat a waffle iron on the highest setting. Stir together the waffle mix, two of the eggs and the half-and-half, melted butter and nutmeg until smooth. Add the ham and cheese. Brush the waffle iron with more melted butter and fill with the batter. Cook according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
In a skillet, fry the remaining four eggs over-easy. Serve the waffles with the eggs on top. Pass the mustard and cornichons at the table to serve alongside