Cuban-Style Monte Cristos
Add a French twist to this Cuban classic. Serve with Pineapple Slaw.
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped or mashed into a paste
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk, divided
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup yellow mustard
- 8 slices good quality sliced white bread
- 8 thin deli slices of Swiss cheese
- 8 thin deli slices baked ham
- 8 thin deli slices of smoked turkey or roast pork
- 4 thin horizontal dill pickles slices or slice your own from 1 pickle or use store-bought sandwich stacker sliced pickles
- 3 eggs
In a small pot over medium heat, melt 3 tablespoons butter. Add the garlic, sauté for 2 minutes, then whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in about 1 1/4 cups of the milk and let thicken for 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the mustard and turn off the heat.
Spread the yellow mustard béchamel on eight slices of bread and place of slice of Swiss cheese on all eight slices. Build the sammies by adding the ham, turkey or pork and one sliced pickle on four of the bread slices, then top with the remaining slices.
In a shallow dish, whisk together the eggs and the remaining 1/4 cup milk.
Heat a large skillet or griddle over medium heat. Add the remaining the 2 tablespoons of butter and melt. Turn the sandwiches in the egg and milk mixture and add them to the pan. Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side, until deep golden brown. Serve with Pineapple Slaw alongside.