Cuban Surf and Turf
Keep this meal in mind for your next cocktail party or the next time you need a great app for a sit-down supper!
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- 3 tablespoons cumin (3 palmfuls)
- 3 tablespoons sweet paprika (3 palmfuls)
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Juice and zest of 2 limes
- Juice and zest of 1 orange
- 2 trimmed pork tenderloins, cut into 1-inch medallions (20 pieces)
- Salt and black pepper
- 20 large shrimp, peeled, deveined and butterflied
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves, chopped
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat with two turns of the pan of EVOO, about 2 tablespoons.
In a shallow dish, combine the cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper and the zest of the limes and orange. Season the pork with salt and pepper and toss the medallions with the spice mixture to coat them. Cook medallions in two batches for 2 minutes on each side. Add extra EVOO for second batch. Keep cooked pork covered with foil.
Pre-heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat with the remaining EVOO, about 2 tablespoons. While the skillet is heating, season the shrimp with salt and pepper. Transfer them to the hot skillet and cook until they are pink in color and cooked through, about 4-5 minutes. Add the juice of limes and the orange, hot sauce and chopped cilantro to the shrimp, toss to combine and then remove from the heat.
Arrange five pork medallions topped with shrimp on each dinner plate and serve.