Cubano Hash Melts with Eggs
This is a tropical BLD – Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner – meal!
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 3/4 pound ground pork
- 1/3 pound (1/2 package) chorizo, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin (1/3 palmful)
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 bottle of beer
- 2 Portuguese rolls or 2 sandwich-size English muffins, split and toasted
- 4 dill pickles, chopped
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 4 deli-cut slices of Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 large eggs
Pre-heat the oven to 400°F.
Heat a skillet over medium-high heat with the EVOO, one turn of the pan. Add pork and brown, 3-4 minutes. Add chorizo, onion and garlic and season mixture with cumin, allspice, salt and pepper and cook for 7-8 minutes. Stir in tomato paste, cook a minute longer, then add beer.
Arrange bread on baking sheet. Toast the split bread.
Coarsely chop the pickles and reserve.
Cover bread with yellow mustard, then top with mounds of hash and a slice of Swiss, folded in half. Melt the cheese in the oven, 2-3 minutes.
Melt butter in medium size nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add eggs to melted butter and fry to desired doneness.
Top the hash with fried eggs and pickles and serve.